Tuesday 2 February 2010

Connecting your Mac to a LCD TV

A while ago I decided to investigate the possibility of connecting my MacBook to my Grundig Widescreen LCD TV screen. On a blue Monday I already tried to connect a notebook PC using a VGA (PC-in) connector. I was not really impressed, but at least it was nice to see that it worked. 

By my knowledge VGA is an analog connection so this was probably the reason for the limitation in quality. At some point I decided to use the TV's HDMI connector (Digital). Since I did not yet have this cable, I ordered one online: a DVI-HDMI cable of two meters long (€ 14, -), and for connecting to the MacBook: a mini-DVI-DVI adapter (€ 19, -). 


It was a pleasant surprise that the Mac after connecting to the TV immediately recognized the new display! And the picture looked very good! 
If you want to connect a computer to a TV, keep in mind that the HDMI connector is only for video (the same goes for VGA by the way). For the audio part you will need to have an audio cable to connect to either the TV-unit or a Hi-Fi set. 
I connected the MacBook to the audio input of my dolby surround set, and by doing so my media center was complete! Nice! 

Now I could watch video directly from the HDD of the MacBook: films / series / Youtube / Frontrow. 
Very cool indeed!!! 


Less cool was the fact that the MacBook was not really mobile now... Unplugging the cables every time I needed my Mac at another location, was not very handy! The MacBook was also connected to the network with a UTP cable so it could communicate with the iMac. In all, disconnecting three cables, and reconnecting them afterwards... Hmmmm not good fun!

Therefore a solution had to be found! The most obvious solution was using the iMac to connect to the TV.  Seemed to be reasonable, so I bought a 10 meter long HDMI cable (€ 52, -). 
Thus the MacBook was again free to use as a notebook, as it was invented to be.

Since the iMac has more hard disk space and has 2 TB connected to it by external drives, it was also the best choice for playing the various video sources. I use the standard DVD-player from Apple, because this works very well for me and the Apple-remote works with it like a charm! So you have no need for buying other DVD-software!


And you know what? I even stopped using my stand alone DVD-player, every DVD is played by the Mac now! Steve Jobs would say: "Is't that great?" Hahahaha





1 comment:

  1. I heard that there is a remote control for the Macbook as well. I haven't tried it myself. I am considering to buy one and try it. That will make you Movie show confortalble.

    ReplyDelete

 
UA-5298113-6